Thursday, September 23, 2010

Bass Guy

My family came up with this theory before I left for college. That theory went something like this: on my first day of college in my first class ever, the love of my life will sit behind me. Sure it was just a joke, but I still wanted it to really happen. How cool would that be, to find my future husband like that?

My first class was supposed to be Native American Studies (NAS), but I crashed an English course on my first day. Behind me sat a very cute boy with gorgeous eyelashes, but not-so-cute of an attitude. I know I shouldn't judge, but I know you have done this before. He looked like the kind of guy who goes to college for the party scene. Also known as, not my type. Still thinking positively, I thought that maybe NAS would be the fateful class. I was discouraged to walk in only to realize the seats were staggered like a brick wall. How was I supposed to tell who was behind me?? Instead I eagerly watched each student filter in.

And that was the precise moment I saw him, Bass Guy. I am not referring to the guitar looking bass, but the damn fine upright bass. This man (whoo!) is the very stereotypical tall, dark, and handsome while carrying the very instrument of my dreams. I am horrible at judging height, but he was definitely taller than me (at 5'4'') and was wearing glasses with some not-quite-new, but not-too-old clothes. His hair was short with dark curly waves. Oh, and I will never forget those side burns! I was never able to tell his eye color because of how fast he passed by. Because the class was so full he stood up front looking for a seat only to quietly say to himself, "Ooh, a corner seat!" and dash over to set down his beast of an instrument.

At the time, I was a rather stupid person, because I left out the embarrassing detail that he was originally called Cello Guy. Anyone who knows anything about stringed instruments is probably giving me a very confused look. How could anyone that in love with an instrument not know that difference between a bass and a cello? Well, reason number one is that I had never seen one in real life before. Number two, I only knew what I came across on the internet. After listening to Bach's Cello Suite Two, and seeing a girl play the bass, I was all mixed up.

Sadly, I didn't find the difference out until I talked to him and he corrected me. Yes, I talked to Bass Guy, and humiliated myself. However, I would like to say I pulled it of quite smoothly. One day after class I decided, "What could it hurt to talk to him?" As he packed his things, I timed my own packing to match his. As soon as we left the room, I suddenly said, "Hey, I saw you carrying in that cello the other day--" and he interrupted me.

"It's a bass, but, yeah, I carry it with me to class sometimes so I can practice immediately afterward. I'm Charles." He proceeded to shake my hand. Oh yeah...
"I'm Emily, do you practice often?"
"At least 5-6 hours every day. I'm kind of a practice fiend." My brain shut down. Six hours? A day?! He must be good.
(This conversation was a few weeks ago so I'm forgetting the details, but I remember the good parts! I'll just skip to them...)
"So I noticed your left handed, too." Whoa, he noticed? How long was he watching me? Oh dang... He probably just over heard the conversation about the stupid desks and how hard it is to write with them when you are left handed.
"Yeah, but I only write with my left hand, I do everything else with my right."
"Me too, I throw, punch, and swing with my right hand." He even has a sense of humor? Could this get any better? (Another blank, fast forward to what I remember)
"I felt like I was a little late in the game, you know? Like I'm too old for college." Ohno, how old is he? He couldn't be that much older than me.
"I don't think there is an age limit to college, socially."
"Yeah, things have been going good so far."
"What class do you have right now? Anything?"
"Nope, I'm just going to go get a coffee and practice, you?" Damn it, why do I have to have class right now? I want to go!
"I have dance right now." That just had to be the precise moment some pretty girl had to come talk to him. I just walked away, hesitating only for a moment, "Should I say bye, or 'see ya'?" I decided neither, so I wouldn't interrupt the girl and walked away. That was the one and only time I talked to him so far, but there will be more!

No comments: